FOR THE PARENTS AND GRAND PARENTS OUT THERE.

RotaTeq) associated with intussusception

> MedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program
>
> FDA issued a Public Health Notification to inform health care providers
> and consumers about 28 post-marketing reports of intussusception
> following administration of Rotavirus, Live, Oral, Pentavalent vaccine
> (RotaTeq). Intussusception is a serious and potentially life-threatening
> condition that occurs when the intestine gets blocked or twisted.
>
> Because vaccine adverse events are not always reported to FDA, there may
> be additional cases of intussusception following vaccination of which we
> are unaware. This information is important in helping FDA and CDC assess
> whether RotaTeq may be associated with an increased risk of
> intussusception and, if so, to what degree. Healthcare professionals and
> others are encouraged to report any cases of intussusception or other
> serious events that may be associated with the use of RotaTeq to the
> Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). Parents should contact
> their child's doctor immediately if the child has stomach pain,
> vomiting, diarrhea, blood in their stool or change in their bowel
> movements, as these may be signs of intussusception.
>
> Read the complete MedWatch 2007 Safety summary, including links to the
> Notification, Label and Patient Product Information, at:
>
> http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2007/safety07.htm#RotaTeq

> To ensure delivery of these timely alerts to your in-box and prevent
rejection of the notice by a spam filter, please add our MedWatch address,
[EMAIL PROTECTED], to your address book.

> Thank you for using FDA MedWatch as a trusted source for timely safety
information on drugs, devices and diagnostics regulated by the U.S. Food
and Drug Administration. If you find this e-mail notification helpful,
please consider telling colleagues and friends about MedWatch and this
e-mail notification process.  They can learn more and subscribe to the
e-list at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/feedback.htm