I had a lot of pain the first 4 months. I just wanted to die so the pain would stop. I was getting morphine injects and taking a "pain cocktail". Around the 5th month I wasn't feeling the pain the same way. I remember telling the doctors that I didn't think I needed the pain cocktail because I wasn't feeling the pain the way I was. Besides it made me kind of sleepy all the time. The doctors told me I wasn't feeling the pain because I was on the pain cocktail and I needed to continue it. I did for a few days and then started refusing to take it. I felt some pain but nothing that a few Tylenol couldn't take care of. Eventually that pain went away too.

The trade-off to not feeling pain, I never had any other recovery. It's been 18 years and I'm still paralyzed from the neck down and dependent on a ventilator to breathe.