Candis wrote:
"Kevin, I'm not sure why you would want to use a cane with the Hugo."

Candy,
I can explain this. I have found that even when I walk with a shopping cart, my feet tend to hit the back wheels of the cart. This is because I walk with my feet
turned out because of my poor balance and my ankles tendency to give out.
It is my way of compensating for the bad wiring in my spine that TM has
caused.  So by holding a shopping cart with my left hand, and a cane with
my right hand, my feet don't bang into the back wheels.  Now, I have been
told by a neurologist that if I continue to walk with my feet turned out,
I will wear out my knees and hips prematurely, but what is my alternative,
walking with my feet straight, losing my balance and falling down.
Maybe the rollator will allow me to walk with my feet straight and not
use the cane, and not worry about falling.  I have had years of physical
therapy, but my ankles still want to 'give out'.  So we all compensate
in our own ways I guess.

Take care,
Kevin

Candis Kalley wrote:
Kevin and Nataline Plus Anyone else looking at the Hugo or rollator
I love the Hugo. Unless you need it delivered, you will find better prices at Walmart Super Store or Sam's club - $110 to $115. I have used my Hugo to walk around in the yard. The larger wheels allow this. There are times that I have had to "lift" it to get out of a big hole covered by grass but other wise it is very handy. I keep my Hugo in my SUV so that it is always on the outside of the house. I have 3 steps into my house and as yet have not had a ramp installed and while I probably could lift it up those 3 steps I try not to take too many risks. Inside my house, I use 3 rolling office chairs. I am able to take several steps - at most 10 feet - unaided but I really have to concentrate on where I am going and take every brain cell to accomplish this. I found this out the hard way - no multi tasking in thinking and concentrating because I fell and did something to my little toe. It then took another 3 falls to figure out that the "pain" was making my legs give out. This wiring in the spine is crazy! After 16 months still learning what is what and still there are differences day by day. Anyway, back to the Hugo and rolling office chairs. Other than the brakes, I find the rolling office chairs easier in the house because the handles on the Hugo wouldn't allow me to get close to cabinets and such. Since I'm short - 5'1" - I have short arms and the Hugo in the house made it even more difficult to try to cook and work at cabinets. At one time I kept a regular rolling 4 wheel walker in the house and the Hugo in the SUV. Having the same difficulties, and having a friend of a friend worse off financially, I gave the 4 wheel walker to her. After my fall, I decided that I did need something in the house to help carry and sit so I started using my rolling office chair and that's when I found that they work in the house. I have 3 rolling office chairs. They are narrower than the Hugo and they make tighter turns. Therefore, I find the rolling office chair better in the house. With the rolling office chairs, I sit higher and can do a little better with regular cabinet heights and get closer. I also use the rolling office chairs just like my Hugo - carry things on the seat and push the office chiar from the back support which I have set so that it doesn't give. I also use the rolling office chairs to make my bed because I don't bend too well anymore. PT and OT would probably not approve, but so far I have not had any problems in the past 3 months. Just make sure that you fully seated in the rolling office chair and Hugo because if you lean too far forward it will slide out from under you. Kevin, I'm not sure why you would want to use a cane with the Hugo. If you need the cane to get up and down stairs, you can always put the cane "crook" where the handles join. I have done this several times. When you engage the brakes on the Hugo, there are brakes on either handle and that handle only controls the brake on that side. So if you put the brake on the right side and push on the left, the Hugo is going to "circle" to the right and vice versa. I'm sure that is you knew someone, they probably would be able to fix Hugo so that either hand brake would engage both. You may also want to make that suggestion on the Hugo website. This would be beneficial to patients who have only 1 good arm/hand. I hope that I have helped in some way. I would like to see others who have suggestions on doing house work, cooking, general day to day suggestions. I'm always looking for ways to do things. I know I have surprised several people in the kitchen because I have a couple of pliers in my kitchen - they are great to pull those sealed tops off bottles and they also help with the smaller lids on drinks and such. For those things in bags, I use scissors to open and then roll down the top and use the large black office clips to hold the bags. The large black office clips are cheaper and easier than the regular bag closeures that are $1 a piece (the potatoe chip large clips in stores). Prayers, thoughts and courage to each and all. Candy K.