Rob,
I have probably asked this before, but How Do You Work?  That's more than I've
been able to do yet!
I understand your feelings about crowds.  With me, it's more that I'm
uncomfortable b/c I feel socially 'cut off' from others, b/c I can't talk to
people I'm passing - like even in the hallways at church - b/c I feel like I
have to concentrate on walking; often I'm looking down to watch my footing.
Especially if there's little children running around who might throw me off
balance, I feel like I have to focus on my walking, which means ignoring saying
hi to people I'm passing.  Even during the times that I don't feel like I need
my cane, I always use it at church or in crowds of people.
Has you wife read the 'spoon theory'?  It doesn't tell it all, but it seems to
give a pretty good analogy of at least some of our limitations.  I got it from
someone here, so you've probably seen it; if not I'll post a copy of it.
Sally