Hi Patti,

I hope this plan works out for you. It is great that your neuro is taking such an interest in your pain. Some of the neuros you hear about don't seem to care very much. I have been taking Lyrica for about a year. It has done pretty well for me. My legs are in much less pain than they were before starting it. I was taking tegratal and switched right away to Lyrica with no problems. I tried cymbalta a few months ago. I found I had to take it in the morning. When I took it at night I was awake most of the night and felt that my heart was racing. When I switched to mornings I had no problems. Unfortunately it caused such dry mouth I couldn't stand it. I think because I already have dry mouth from the bladder meds and this just made it unbearable. Hope this helps.

Lynn in RI (cool and sunny)
To: "tmic-list-at-eskimo.com" <tmic-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2007 10:09 PM
Subject: [TMIC] Lots to chat about

I've been checking in to see what's going on too!
I had my annual neuro appt last week and have to say he sure is interested in the amount of pain I deal with. Last year my Neuro gave me samples of Lyrica that I never took due to various posts from others and the cost that I will incur if I can't get samples. So this is the route he would like me to take:
  1. replace my 2400mg of daily gabapenton with 75mg twice daily
  2. increase 60mg Cymbalta to 90mg for 2 weeks, then to 120mg daily
  3. increase Baclofen from 10mg every 6 hours to to every 4 to 5 hrs
  4. Take 5mg Valium if needed on a rare basis
I know this is a lot of changes, however, I'm going to do them one step at a time.

I decided to take the plunge and try the Lyrica immediately. Literally! My Neuro assured me again that I could switch from the gabapentin to the Lyrica without any effects so I did it that evening and the change went fine. I had a slight headache for about 1/2 hour for the first 3 doses and that was the only side effect. I just went thru the big weather change from 90 degrees to a 50 degree with rain and tolerated it better than I could have imagined. I'm not out of pain, but I'm not ready to cut my leg off either.

I have taken the Baclofen often than at 6 hours twice and it helps to know that I can take them as soon as my back muscles start to spasm. That is a big relief.

Now, specifically for those of you who take Cymbalta....Is ther a time of day to take it that works better for you? I asked my Neuro if it mattered and his answer was not unless it keeps you awake. I don't have trouble falling asleep, just staying asleep. I wonder if the Cymbalta is the culprit.

My Neuro also wrote me an RX for a walker so I can walk distances without the muscle spasms. I paid attention to the questions and answers recently so I think I have that covered.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on my news?

Patti - Michigan