I do agree, Tracey, with freedom of speech as a country. But  there are some
instances of "agreeing to disagree" in certain places on certain  topics and
going on.

I don't mind a discussion of politics or what's going on in  the media when
people stick to the issues: it's when people make snarky,  condescending,
cutting comments about the other side that it bothers  me.

Years ago the consensus on the TMIC in regard to religion was  that it was ok
to write in the sense of what I had felt God had done for me, how  I relied
in Him personally to cope, etc., but that getting preachy, writing to  try to
convert others, and sending loads of religious forwards was crossing the  line
here though it was fine on other contexts.

I don't personally have a problem with discussing religion or  politics, even
when there is disagreement: I think it can be enlightening --  if it can be
done in a civil manner.

My plea to cut the politics was based on other people's  frequent pleas along
the same lines. But if it is ok with Jim, the creator and  maintainer of our
list, and ok with the group in general, I am fine with it. I'd  just ask for
civility and respect and grace. We can discuss the issues without  putting down
anyone's choice for president disrespecting another's viewpoint  opposite our
own. "Attack the problem, not the person" is a good general  maxim.

Barbara H.
_http://barbarah.wordpress.com/_ (http://barbarah.wordpress.com/)

In a message dated 2/21/2008 10:17:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,