From: Akua
Date: 3/26/2008 10:03:39 PM
To: jrushton
Subject: Re: [TMIC] how to travel?

CAn you stand?

I can't move and can't fathom how this is done......
I transfer with a board... there's no room on the plane for that.
I use a  commode... do hotels provide these?
I am baffled,

I saw a youtube video on a guy in a wheelchair....
he might not have been able to walk, but he wasn't paralyzed!
He did his transfers by stand and pivot...
this is a huge difference.

I use a manual wheelchair, because i want to keep the little I can use, in
use...

Hi, Akua...I'm so sorry for you losing your Dad.  It is so sad.

We've traveled a lot with the wheelchair and the airlines, and every single
one we have dealt with go out of their way to help those in wheelchairs.  If
you tell them at the onset that you will be needing help they will be there
from the time you check in even to getting your luggage.  They even make
arrangements to get you right to your seat.  Your wheelchair travels with
you and they will have it waiting for you when you are ready for it upon
landing.

We've had them more times than not, call someone to the plane to actually
take me to the next flight.  As uncomfortable as flying has become, this has
been awesome.  Also, they will come get you if you are in line and usually
take you to the front of the line so you don't have to go through the whole
process of waiting.

I don't think there are special hotels for paraplegics but you will usually
find hotels that have handicap rooms which are larger and have the bathrooms
set up for wheelchair access.  Again, they will help you all along the way
even to the shuttles taking you to and from the airport.  The secret is to
ask for help!!  Most often they have asked me before I even have to ask.
The shuttle drivers are very attentive to you and your needs and we've used
plenty of them.  Now, when it comes to a 90 minute drive, that can be pretty
expensive.  We'll call in the troops for help on that one.

I hope this helps even in just a little way.  You've got lots of support
with the TMIC 'family'.

Please take care and God Bless You while you are going through your loss.

Jeanne in Dayton