There is another condition that wipes the spinal cord without any evidence of inflammation - a spinal stroke. I believe this happened to me - a small infarction in a branch artery. A piece of tissue the size of a rice grain in a sensory tract died and polluted the neighborhood; in twenty minutes I was paralyzed from the waist down. Took months to recover motor control, and spasticity remains today.

Alton Ryder, nailed in 1997