From: Assunta Rene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:38:06 AM
Subject: [TMIC] Hi I'm New Here

Hi my name Assunta and I have been
diagnosed with Devic's Disease (NMO). I live in Italy but I'm originally from
Seattle, WA.

This scary experience all started
seven years ago when I started to lose eye site in my left eye and was told it
was Optic Neuritis. Over the years my eye site returned but not completely.

Then December of 2006 I had
started to have a pain in my shoulder, the doctors told me that it was frozen
shoulder and they started a treatment.  I started to have tingling in my
fingers and leg on my right side the
after a few days I was paralysed in my right arm, leg, torso and tingling this
time in my fingers and leg on my left side.  My husband brought me to the ER
and they
recovered me in neurology, where after blood tests and a MRI, which showed a
lesion at the level of T2 and C2 - C5. They diagnosed NMO.  They told me that
the eye site problem
that I had 1999 was the onsite of NMO not diagnosed.  They started me on IV
methylprednisolone
to stop the attack. I started occupational therapy and physiotherapy plus I
take
anticonvulsant medication for the tightening of arms and legs and torso
banding.
The paralysis is gone, but I still have numbness, burning and fatigue.

Here in Italy (I live in small
town) this disease is very rare and it is a miracle that it was diagnose and I
thank God everyday for this very special doctor. My family has been great,
especially my husband.

I really like to talk to someone
who understands the nerve ending burning pain, or all the other discomforts
that
goes along with this disease. I would love to share stories, both humorous and
serious".

I was wondering if anyone could
help me...I will be visiting Seattle this winter and would like to see a Doctor
to review my medical charts to see if the diagnosis and the treatment are
right.

Thank
you,
Assunta