Hi my name Assunta and I have been diagnosed with Devic's Disease (NMO). I live
in Italy but I'm originally from Seattle, WA.

This scary experience all started seven years ago when I started to lose eye
site in my left eye and was told it was Optic Neuritis. Over the years my eye
site returned but not completely.

Then December of 2006 I had started to have a pain in my shoulder, the doctors
told me that it was frozen shoulder and they started a treatment.  I started to
have tingling in my fingers and leg on my right side the after a few days I was
paralysed in my right arm, leg, torso and tingling this time in my fingers and
leg on my left side.  My husband brought me to the ER and they recovered me in
neurology, where after blood tests and a MRI, which showed a lesion at the
level of T2 and C2 - C5. They diagnosed NMO.  They told me that the eye site
problem that I had 1999 was the onsite of NMO not diagnosed.  They started me
on IV methylprednisolone to stop the attack. I started occupational therapy and
physiotherapy plus I take anticonvulsant medication for the tightening of arms
and legs and torso banding. The paralysis is gone, but I still have numbness,
burning and fatigue.

Here in Italy (I live in small town) this disease is very rare and it is a
miracle that it was diagnose and I thank God everyday for this very special
doctor. My family has been great, especially my husband.

I really like to talk to someone who understands the nerve ending burning pain,
or all the other discomforts that goes along with this disease. I would love to
share stories, both humorous and serious".

I was wondering if anyone could help me...I will be visiting Seattle this
winter and would like to see a Doctor to review my medical charts to see if the
diagnosis and the treatment are right.

Thank you,

Assunta