I'm not a Soc Sec expert, however, This is what I know:

It took me 18 months from the time I filed until I was approved for Sos Sec
Disability Income and have been on it for 3.5 years.

I have a "right to Work Ticket" that allows to attend school or seek training
for employment or to work. However, my gross income MUST be under $800 per
month or my SSDI will stop.

My five year TM anniversary was in November and in October I received a
Disability Update Report that asked five questions.  Last week I received a
letter from Soc Sec that said no further determination was needed at this time
and my benefits would continue.
The questions were regarding the past two years I just required an "x" by the
correct answer:
1.have you worked for someone or been self-employed?  yes or no (list if yes)
2.have you attended any school or work training program?  yes or no
3. my doctor and I have not discussed whether I can return to work (or) my
doctor told me I cannot work (or) my doctor told me I can work
4. which best describes your health - Better, Same, Worse
5. have you gone to a docttor or clinic for treatment? yes or no (List if yes)

Some of your questions regaring SSDI and spousal income can be answered from
your annual Soc Sec letter,
My SSDI amount was listed in my annual Social Security letter titled "Your
Personal Earnings and Benefit Estimate Statement". Of course, I never thought I
would ever be disabled when I started receiving these statements years ago.
The form reads:
Retirement Benefits - If you worked at your present rate to full retirement age
of 66 your retirement benefit would be: $ x,xx5
If you become disabled right now, you need 31 credits to qualify for disability
benefits.  Of these, 20 had to be earned in the last 10 years.  Your record
shows you have earned enough credits in the right time:  Right now your
disability benefits would be about: $x,xx0   (five dollars less than above)

"If you get retirement or disability benefits your spouse or family may qualify
for survivor benefits.  If you die this year, you need 31 credits for your
spouse to get benefits.....................(Several lines depending if their
are children involved)...........
When your spouse reaches full retirement age (66) $ x,x10 (wow,$10 more)
There is another page that explains family and spousal benefits at younger ages
if you retire or are disabled.

The rules about working after retirement at age 62 and up to age 65 or 66 is
different than the income for SSDI.

Call 1-800-537-7005 to request a statement.

I hope this helps.  I planned on working another tens years at the time TM hit
me.  I pulled the statement out of the file soon after I came home from the
hospital to see if we could survive on my loss of employment.  I'm happy to say
we are doing fine.

Patti - Michigan