Once again, I am so thankful to have found this group.  I had no previous
knowledge of myelin regeneration and at last have some understanding of what
has taken place to cause the residual banding and numbness.
My story, briefly, is that in May last year I had a series of 'episodes'
over 5 days that resulted in my admittance to hospital, paralysed from chest
down, plus arms.  I should say that when we first called paramedics out,
fearing that I might be suffering a stroke or heart attack, they decided it
was a trapped nerve and recommended we should present to the local A & E if
there was no improvement.  This we did the next day, by which time I was
struggling to walk and experiencing numbess through my body.  The doctor
there decided I had some sort of nervous problems and sent us packing with
the recommendation that my husband 'take me out for a nice meal'!!  Never
mind the fact that I had reached the ripe old age of 67 without any real
health problems, so maybe this should be investigated a little further?!!
By the next morning, I couldn't even get out of bed so now tried calling out
our GP.  Before she was able to get to me, my husband reported to them a
rapid deterioration, which resulted in them 'blue lighting' an ambulance to
get me back to A &E where, thankfully, this time I saw a young doctor from
neurology who immedately suspected TM, had it confirmed with a scan
and lumbar puncture, then got me straight on to treatment.  I  have full
recovery only in my right arm and partial right hand (for which I am
thankful), am able to walk but need a wheely walker or cane outside of the
house,  I have uncomfortable banding and numbness through the rest of my
body and was advised by my consultant in December that I should not expect
any further recovery, although I had previously understood that recovery
could go on for 2 years.  Thanks to this group, I am still hopeful of
improvement.
Now I'm hoping you may be able to help a relative of mine who has similar
residual problems following an operation for a spinal a injury.  He had
serious complications from a hospital virus and now, three years later, is
able to get about but suffers similar banding, numbness and fatigue.  He has
tried to find a group on line who may have suffered similarly, without
success, and I wonder if anyone is able to help?
Many thanks
Iris UK