I feel so much luckier than most of you, because I am a 62-year-old
professor; which means that, even after a fit of spasms that leave me
temporarily unable to talk or use my legs, I can still write papers and
continue working on a book I hope will be read (it is my second) someday
soon.  I can also plan my lectures around these attacks by lecturing in the
morning, before they are due.

Never mind that I can no longer drive and must sell my car, or that I have
had to give up so many things.  No one is remembered for having a great life
of sports and enjoyments.  Or that we liked a good cigar after dinner (I
did!); or that we went to the beach in summers and knew how to enjoy
ourselves.

What we will be remembered for is the way we acted toward others, especially
those who could do us no good; if we ever seemed to do things for others for
which only the good deeds themselves would have been the payoff; that if we
were religious, our religion was in our heart and not so much in our mouth;
and if our talk made things easier for others, not harder.

I saw my life before TM as 2-dimentional, filled with many things I enjoyed
but which made no difference for others; but now I am trying to make it
3-dimensional, going upward from that surface I used to live on, to attempt
to include the dimension of earning my day by doing something useful for
others whenever I have the strength, even if it is just getting along with
my neighbor.

It doesn't mean I reject any material aid to fight the disease I can get.
Ends depend on means.  So, for depression, for instance, I discovered that
pushing up daily dosages of Omega-3, has ABSOLUTELY helped me fight
depression.  I have taken 40mg/day of Prozac for about 12 years, with only
some success.  But after taking large daily doses of Omega-3 I have actual
jolly moments for the first time since I was 3-years-old.

And I take 600 mg/day of Lyrica, to stop that feeling of being flensed from
head to toe.  Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck with the fits, seizures
or whatever you want to call them.  Lately, they have left me dazed and
wondering what happened.

No matter.  I have an appointment on a day not known to me or of my
choosing.  I imagine being behind some poor soul making excuses for not
doing more to make that own little world of friends and acquaintances better
off by any measure at all.  "Did the news not reach you about a day like
this?-from parents, friends, from studying, reading things, or hearing about
it from others-nothing?"  I don't want to be in that position.  I want to
have anticipated it!

I don't succeed too often, but there are some nights I can lie down with
satisfaction that the day went pretty well, that I was able to get something
done.  Maybe it's just getting dressed and making myself presentable for the
day, and that was it.

This letter is too long and preachy.  But I have come to the conclusion that
the only difference between heaven and hell is the neighbors.

Dalton

  _____