thoughts?

overwhelmed!

________________________________
From: Dalton Garis <malugss...@gmail.com>
To: john snodgrass <jcs...@yahoo.com>; em...@telephonelady.com
Cc: transverse myelitis <tmic-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sat, September 18, 2010 8:26:50 AM
Subject: Re: [TMIC] New developments

Hey, all;

I just spent from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM spazzed out, with no control of my arms,
legs, trunk, voice or facial movements.  The spine between the shoulder blades
was burning all day, and every time I tried to move or do anything I would lose
control and couldn’t even talk.  In fact attempting to talk caused the whole
body to spaz.  I have no idea what started it, except that I went skating
yesterday and then spent most of the rest of the day tutoring my favorite
subject to a willing student, the economic implications of many divine
teachings.

This was not one of my epileptic-like attacks which just started recently,
where
it starts in the head like a storm, mood changes and other things occur and is
physically over quite soon.  This was just a pure spasticity event.
 Consciousness was not altered at any time.  A very nice lady who works nearby
came to stay with me.  She knows medical massage learned from her father who
practiced medicine in an isolated Philippine village.  She massaged my scalp,
face, back and hands, and no doubt it helped to calm the spasticity.  God bless
her!

You might recall my telling you all when it had been 16 days without any
symptoms.  Now the spasticity attacks are back, along with this new epileptic
attack which takes days to recover from.  Those started about one month ago and
were very different from the outset from the spasticity attacks I had before.

In fact, even though I termed the spasticity attacks “seizures,” because they
were all over and left me helpless, I now know that they were not seizures.  I
know because now I get real seizures of the epilepsy type.  They may only last
20-30 minutes but are far more upsetting.  Consciousness is whacked, the sense
of where and when is really bent, and the mood changes totally.  There is an
aura before if it comes on slowly, but not if induced by getting out of breath
or from strobing or flashing lights and images (I don’t watch TV anymore and
CRT
screens are a no-no).  After the seizure there are feelings of bad depression
lasting for about 4-6 hours.  I never get those after the spasticity attacks
now, but I did before except not too badly.

Maybe the TM opened some gateway to the brain so that besides the expected
spasticity attacks, now these partial epileptic fits are added to the mix.  Or
maybe the old attacks were a combination of both spasticity and seizure, but
have now diverged into distinct types, one purely physical and the other an
epileptic type.  A doctor told me that if the epileptic seizure involves the
temporal lobe where emotions are then it would cause the mood changes.

My current neurologist has no clue about any of this, so I am seeking a
dedicated epilepsy doctor, since, by definition, anything more than a one-time
seizure directly associated to some event such as a stroke, accident, etc. is
termed “epileptic.”

Any thoughts?

Dalton Garis
Abu Dhabi, UAE