Akua, I want to share some of the situations I have run into that are similar to yours and many others I know. I do know there are ways to adjust to some of them. Please don't get ticked and delete my message. I am involved in some ad hoc committees relative to transportation, low/med cost housing, universal design etc. I am a T-10 complete para who is unable to stand, walk, or do anything besides sit in my wheelchair, drive, my many non profit activities, etc.

1. and 2. $460,000 does not even begin to cover the items you said. There is something terrifically wrong with that amount to cover the items you listed. It is way, way too low! I'm not sure, not knowing the demographic of your area that the additional monies is even close to what is needed.

I'm just QUOTING there from official sources.

3, If the regular transit buses have lifts, etc for wheelchairs, is the state or federal law that depends on the route to the regular bus route inaccessible? If not, then, as here in CA we have to get to the bus route on our own. No door to door pick up if we are close to the regular bus line. Buses are accessible.

Your infrastructure is so developed to even have these considerations!!!! I live in Northern Applachia and am in/ under the Applachian Regional commission. Little did I know until TM paralyzed me, how
UTTERLY LACKING IN EVERYTHING we are here.

4. When you hit item #4 you are skipping off of transportation and looking at looking at housekeeping etc. We have to be realistic and remember that just because we are disabled we are not entitled to all the rights that other groups of people would also benefit from

Actually deliberately ! So that they understand the SCOPE OF THEIR CITIZENRY. One out of every five people in my area are disabled and there is no paratransit!

#7 Be specific when making an appt for whatever reason that there is either a table that adjust higher or lower to allow you to transfer. Or make very, very sure the person you are making the appt with knows you are in a wheelchair and standing is not an option. This has been a great problem for me, but I insist they bring in a crew to transfer me to the exam table.

Now this is IRKSOME because you presume I haven't. This turns me off, so I'm not responding any further. You obviously haven't read or paid attention to anything else I've shared or discussed here over the several years.

8. Here is CA it is our responsibility that we have the blue markings for handicap parking. However, I don't think it requires the cut outs to adjust to our specific needs...we all are different. The local police are not always responsive, but where I live, a $400 ticket, plus the
loss of the handicap placard is pretty expensive.
#9. Keep bugging these folks of what needs to be done. One or two phone calls don't do it. Plug their numbers where you can easily call at least once a week and make sure they know your know. Always be pleasant.

KEEP PLUGGING ALONG AND DON'T GIVE UP. I HAVE SEEN SOME REMARKABLE CHANGES WHERE I LIVE BECAUSE WE KEEP ON WORKING. Also see if you can get involved with an indepentent living center. They work on all these issues.

And Akua, try and keep a positive attitude. It works almost more than anything.
   Cindy