I don't normally chime in...I am not an adult living with TM or the
residual affects...I am the parent of a child who contracted TM at seven
months...as such I too would love to know what caused it.  Mostly because
if there is a genetic component or condition which attributed to this
outcome....it would be in the hopes of preventing it from happening to any
of  my other children or anyone's children for that matter (adults as
well).  Ideally for me finding why this happened to her is a separate and
less concerning point....I could easily say this is a case of bad
luck...but then I would also have to say that bad luck is all around
me...my father died three months before my daughter was paralyzed..... my
daughter proceeded to be in and out of the hospital choking and unable to
breathe, not once but twice after onset...as a young child she could not
tell us anything...we proceeded to go in and out all of the next couple of
years with respirators and vents, etc...over the course of her life (now
9), she goes to a public school and has a "normal" life....so for me it is
ok...for her not so much...she is dynamic and determined but she is also
sad and lonely...she does not have play dates, no one calls, she goes to
parties as long as they are accessible (which is not always a
consideration, understandably so)...she can not dress herself...she can ot
get out of bed by herself...she can not dress the way she wants, she has a
one to one aid, all day, no peer to peer privacy...she has to use a
computer, go to the nurse to be cathed, can't really participate in gym or
recess...she has to be pulled from class for PT and OT, she always needs
modifications...she has the right to want to know why...but she never
asks....you know why....because I tell her...you are one of the lucky
ones.  There are people who have died from TM, people who cant talk, cant
feed themselves, cant breathe on their own....yes it easy for me to say but
it is true...she is one of the lucky ones and quite frankly so am I...in
all that TM brings it is essential to remember what it did not take
away...finding out why or how is not the information my child needs.  On
her worst day she knows it is still here with me and I am grateful.

--
Mary Anne Egan, also NJ