From: Elizabeth Clark
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:30 PM
To: 'Janice Nichols' ; tmic-list@eskimo.com ; 'Robert Pall'
Subject: RE: [TMIC] Is it really so important to know?

While I agree, for the most part, about getting on with our lives with what we
have, I also have a desire to know ‘the cause’ for the following reasons…

Since contracting TM almost 6 years ago and discovering it is an auto-immune
condition, my sister has been diagnosed with two different auto-immune
conditions – Shingles (about 4 yrs. ago) and Celiac (gluten intolerance, just
this last year).

My mother has had three auto-immune conditions – Rheumatoid Arthritis, Temporal
Arteritis (inflammation of blood vessels in arteries of the head, about 5 yrs.
ago) and Alopecia (hair loss – two yrs. ago).

In addition to TM, and though not considered an auto-immune condition, I also
have Scoliosis – ‘idiopathic’ like my TM.

Because of all of this, I worry about my two children developing any of the
same – or other – auto-immune conditions at some point in their lives. I’d like
to know there is some way in the near future to predict and/or prevent that
happening. At 21 and 22, they’ve passed the ‘adolescent scoliosis’ age of 10-13
yrs, but my sister and I weren’t dx’d with the rest until our 50’s and my
mother’s began in her 70’s.

I’m sure this has occurred to other TM’ers who worry about having passed this
or some other condition on to their children. Is it just genetics and was never
realized years before, or is it environmental or related to all the processed
food we eat that’s affected the depletion of vital vitamins and minerals our
bodies need to be healthy?

Whatever the cause, I want to know. In the meantime, I do what I can with what
I have to lead the best life possible.

Betty

(in Northern California)