Dealing with 3 clipboards here... even ignoring the tmux clipboard, the X
vs Gnome (terminology? - the one you refer to as the *real* system
clipboard) clipboard confusion has been a bad Linux user experience problem
for a long time now.  Are you aware that you can usually use
middle-mouse-click to paste from the X clipboard directly?