Just because I think it hasn't been mentioned yet:
If you want to copy text from a shell into the system clipboard,
try highlighting it with the mouse and copy it using Ctrl+Shift+c.
This should typically work. I have mouse mode disabled in tmux,
so highlighting with mouse is something the terminal handles in my setup.