On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 02:38:35PM -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 02:36:17PM -0800, Hibiki Kanzaki wrote:
> > I am trying to come up with a mental model for all the entities
> > (terminal, client, server, session, window, pane).
> >
> > It seems like for me it might be simplest to imagine that
> > conceptually it is always a pane that is closest to the program I
> > see inside a window/pane, even a window with only one pane.
>
> That is both closest and actually true, yes.
>
> > Otherwise it would seem like sometimes a program is running in a
> > window and sometimes in a pane inside a window... which might make
> > sense to me if they were client-side things, but it seems like for
> > tmux the window/pane model is really on the server side.
>
> It is, yes.
>
> > In any case it seems like I should always be able to identify a
> > single terminal by using a tuple (server, session, window,
> > pane)... always a 4-tuple.
>
> I ignore server and session, actually, for most purposes, but that's
> correct.

I use sessions all the time - when I have to start working on something new
without losing my current state (often of 20 or more windows), being able to
switch to another fresh session and back with prefix-s is a big feature,
although I honestly don't care^Wknow if screen has anything similar.

I suspect most people probably just do it with another terminal though.

My biggest problem at the moment is remembering which window has which man
page/log file/code/etc open, but so far I haven't thought of anything that
would make that much easier.

I wonder if C-b w could pull out everything in the process group (ie background
jobs) and show me the command lines, that would help. Although it would
probably make things scarily unportable, it is pathetic how there is no
standard API for investigating other processes, as if there weren't dozens of
programs that need to do it.