On 28/02/12 14:44, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On 28 February 2012 13:38, Simon Friedberger<simon+gm...@a-oben.org>  wrote:
>> 1. Look at the hierarchy of a layout. (Since ^b v ^b s is not the same
>> as ^b s ^b v it would be nice if one could make the difference visible
>> with double with borders or something like that.
>
> Not sure what you're asking here,

Example layout

+-------+-------+
|       |       |
|       |       |
+-------+-------+
|       |       |
|       |       |
+-------+-------+

Now if you change the pane size in whichever pane you don't know if the
pane vertically or horizontally next to it will change as well.
What I would like is something like this

+-----------------+
|+-------+-------+|
||       |       ||
||       |       ||
|+-------+-------+|
+-----------------+
|+-------+-------+|
||       |       ||
||       |       ||
|+-------+-------+|
+-----------------+

Maybe a little less space wasting with colors would work as well.

>> 2. How do you display a pane in multiple windows. This would just be the
>> tmux version of "always on top" windows.
>
> You can't at present.

So do most people work around that with monitor-activity or are there
other hacks/tricks? Maybe tmux inside tmux... :)

>> 3. How do you distribute panes evenly. Sometimes I have layouts like this
>
> There's a grid layout.  Have you tried that?

Yes, but it's not what I want. Maybe I should look into creating my own
layouts.

>> 4. For copy/pasting from a terminal it would be nice to temporarily
>> break out a pane. This may be scriptable but I haven't figured out how
>> to store the old position so far.
>
> I've seen examples before of people scripting {break-,join-}pane --
> although since I use XTerm and have set-clipboard in .tmux.conf, I
> have no need for this.

Hm...Is this possible remotely via ssh?

Thanks for answers!