If we have nice history it is a bonus but if it's easier then it'll be
messed up. Why is this a problem? Every change is there at least once,
nothing is lost. What can you no longer do here?

I do like to make things easy for packagers but I'd also like to make
minimal promises about history or the state of the repository. All you
should rely on is that the top of master is the latest code.

You can probably rely on the 1.6, 1.7 tags staying stable as well, but
they are a convenience - it's better to use the tarballs.