The patch I had sent in was meant for testing, and to see if there was
any interest, so I wasn't putting any effort into getting it into
shape for acceptance.  Now that that might be possible, I'll get it
cleaned up, taking into account your notes.

> I guess this obviously won't let other things that need file descriptor
> passing work like "loadb -" or "saveb -".

I wasn't aware that load or saveb passed file descriptors.  The
functionality appears to work.

> Why do you need to dup stdin in the client?

Where are you seeing the dup?  My patch removed a dup in client.c, but
that'll have to be skipped conditionally since non-cygwin clients will
need to continue doing it.

> Can you replace cyg_get_identify_fd by just putting the one line under
> #ifdef WIN32?

Is WIN32 the right thing to be checking for?  Would it be better to
check for _CYGWIN_ instead so that it works on WIN64 as well?

> Likewise the resolv.h change should go into compat.h. And why do you
need to define ECHOPRT?

The ncurses.h supplied by cygwin doesn't define ECHOPRT, so
compilation fails when it is referenced in tty.c.