Update: this happens only if my putty window is > 223 columns.

I checked the tmux code and it appears to be going into this snippet in
input-keys.c

} else {
            if (m->xb > 223)
                return;
            len = xsnprintf(buf, sizeof buf, "\033[M");
            buf[len++] = m->xb + 32;
            buf[len++] = m->x + 33;
            buf[len++] = m->y + 33;
        }