> > > Or are you thinking of creating the table after running the set command?
> > > This shouldn't work - you shouldn't be able to set a client to a
> > > nonexistent table.
> >
> > I guess I don't super care what happens since I won't personally be
> > writing any switch-client -T into an empty table but I had assumed we
> > would allow switching to a new [and ephemeral] table since otherwise
> > switch-client -T can fail which just seems weird to me.
>
> I'd say it should fail if the table doesn't exist.
>
> I can't think of a case where I would want it to automatically create a
> table, except to confuse people who make a typo in the table name. Do
> you have a use in mind?

Not specifically, I just prefer to see tools degrade what might be
described as "uniformly" where possible.  Nonuniform behaviour makes
tools dangerous for automated use because when writing a script you're
unlikely to think of things like "what if this table is empty" or "what
if this command barfs on no args when really no args means I just didn't
need it to do anything".

I'll switch it and the next set of patches will be up shortly.

Keith