Keith Amling <amling <at> palantir.com> writes:

> > > I guess I don't super care what happens since I won't personally be
> > > writing any switch-client -T into an empty table but I had assumed we
> > > would allow switching to a new [and ephemeral] table since otherwise
> > > switch-client -T can fail which just seems weird to me.
> >
> > I'd say it should fail if the table doesn't exist.
> >
> > I can't think of a case where I would want it to automatically create a
> > table, except to confuse people who make a typo in the table name. Do
> > you have a use in mind?
>
> Not specifically, I just prefer to see tools degrade what might be
> described as "uniformly" where possible.  Nonuniform behaviour makes
> tools dangerous for automated use because when writing a script you're
> unlikely to think of things like "what if this table is empty" or "what
> if this command barfs on no args when really no args means I just didn't
> need it to do anything".
>
> I'll switch it and the next set of patches will be up shortly.
>
> Keith

----
> Get unparalleled scalability from the best Selenium testing platform
available
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/SauceLabs

Has work on this continued?  I made an issue about it
(https://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/tickets/172/) in an effort to bring
attention to this patch, but Thomas said it's pretty much not going anywhere
unless the original patch author continues or makes an effort to get it
merged himself.

I would love to see this landed in tmux!  My current workaround can be seen
at https://github.com/rosshadden/dotfiles/blob/master/src/.tmux.conf#L79-L85
and https://github.com/rosshadden/dotfiles/blob/master/src/lib/tmux-
cords.sh.