Kartik Agaram wrote:
> Ah, thanks! 'bindkey -e' did indeed do the trick.
>
> So in my default shells I get emacs mode before I set EDITOR, but in any
> child shells (not just tmux) the presence of EDITOR switches me to vi mode?
> Am I understanding this correctly?

In zsh, quite a lot of the functionality is implemented in modules. The
line editor (ZLE) is one of those features. The default bindings are
determined at the time the ZLE module is loaded. If you're not doing
that manually, then it's done automatically at some point. The question
is when that is happening, and if at that point in time either of the
variables I mentioned are altered already or not.

If you started tmux from a shell, that has $EDITOR or $VISUAL set, that
means that all children of that tmux server see the value of them right
from the start. And that means, that your zsh's within tmux will
undoubtedly see the EDITOR=vi at the time the ZLE module is loaded
because that value is inherited from the parent process's execution
environment.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925