Hi,

Kartik Agaram wrote:
[...]
> spawn: /usr/bin/zsh --

Since you're using zsh, my guess is that this is not a tmux problem at
all. I bet your $EDITOR or your $VISUAL looks like "vi" (like "vim" or
similar). Then zsh chooses its default line editor mode to be "vi"
instead of "emacs". Those inverted '^A' strings you're seeing (in your
screenshot for example) are zsh's way to insert special characters, that
are not bound to any actions (C-a, C-e etc are not bound by default in
vi-mode by default).

Since you clearly want emacs mode in zsh's line editor, put this into
your zsh setup before you do any other keyboard setup:

  bindkey -e

That will force emacs mode in zsh's line editor.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925