It sounds like your heavy weight initializing is being done in .bashrc as
opposed to .bash_profile or .profile.  The .bashrc config file is intended
to barely bootstrap your environment and .bash_profile (or .profile) is
intended to make an interactive shell usable.  One option would be to use a
different shell like sh to run your commands: sh -c "ls | percol
--initial-index `tmux ls | awk '/attached.$/ {print NR-1}'` | cut -d':' -f
1 | xargs tmux switch-client -t" another would be to specify a different
.bashrc: bash --rcfile ".bashrc_light" -c "tmux ls | blah".