When upgrading from tmux 1.9a to 2.0, shell commands are no longer executed in
title strings. For example I have in my .tmux.conf:

set-option -g set-titles-string "#(whoami)@#H: $PWD \"#S\" (#W)#F [#I:#P]”

My title string ends up looking like: #(whoami)@myhostname.local: /Users/lander
[..rest..]

A very nice Stack Overflow user (Barry Gackle) looked at the repo and found
that the server_client_set_title method now uses format strings and does not
allow “#()” anymore (as mentioned in commit
cd9ccbc1e98b48fd8bfb64356664313a8eb1f7b0). I didn’t see this change noted
anywhere.

This Stack Overflow question identifies the problem in more detail:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30264679/tmux-titles-string-not-executing-shell-command