Bill Shupp wrote:

Joe Young wrote:

Bill,
Ok, databytes will limit both incoming and outgoing bandwith? I might try that.

I think there is confusion as far as "incoming" and "outgoing". I'm not talking about your router or network as of yet.

Keep in mind that qmail can receive mail into its queue 2 ways:

1. qmail-smtpd
2. qmail-inject/sendmail wrapper

#1 can use databytes for limititing size, #2 cannot.

What you want to do is limit the size of the messages that qmail receives, at least for the messages that leave your network via the slow uplink. If you have to segregate email so that local messages can be big, but remote mail cannot, then you need to setup 2 qmail installations. One that handles your local mail, and second that handles remote. The remote one would have the databytes limit. The first qmail install would then route all non-local mail to the second install, which would prevent large messages from getting through.

Regards,

Bill

Ok,
Sorry, They have a DSL connection with verizon. Their connection with verizon is 640k down and 256k up.They The server is inhouse and they will send email to it. The emails will somethings be 8megs big sent to multiple people. The server will then send multiple 8meg emails at the same time.

I had just assumed that qmail-send was a separate process. I just forgort the qmail big picture and how it works.

I checked that squirrel mail sends email through SMTP. So adding the /var/qmail/control/databytes will slow down how fast the SMTP recives inbound local email and outbound email that is not local to server? Correct?

-joe