Well, last night we switched one of our larger mailservers from qmail-scanner/fsavd to simscan/clamd and the improvement was dramatic. CPU usage fell from an average of 60% to less than 10% and the load average dropped from 3.00 to 4.00 down to .80 to 1.40. We would always have 4 or 5 Perl processes showing on top and they are gone.

We'll wait a day of so and then convert the other mailservers.