Thanks for the help. Splitting out the spam scanning was quite easy (as you indicated).

I added the following switch to the ./configure on simscan --enable-spamc-args="-d 10.x.x.x,127.0.0.1"

Which allows spamc to call the remote machine and still use the localhost as a fallback in case something goes wrong.

Of course I had to set up spamassassin on the remote machine, which requires the switches -i 10.x.x.x to allow it to listen on the interface and -A 10.x.x.y to allow the mail server to query it.

After all that, it seems to be working ok. However, I do get this in the logs.

spamd: handle_user unable to find user: 'clamav'

And I notice that in the original toaster, my spamd was reporting queries from the individual vpopmail users. Now everything is reporting as being queried by clamav. I don' think this is causing a problem, but want to make sure I'm not losing any email. All the test messages seem to work properly.

Thanks,

Gary