Jason Brittain wrote:

> BTW: I really like the resources package!  I can think of several useful
> implementations that I'd like to use, like one for CVS, or one for JavaMail,
> or ...  lots more.

I like the Resources abstraction as well.  Before we go whole hog at creating new
implementations, though, I'd like us to consider one (possibly hair-brained)
idea.

The major purpose for creating the Resources abstraction in the first place was
to hide the distinctions about *how* resources were accessed from the rest of the
servlet container.  The Resources interface (as extended by Remy to support what
WebDAV needs) does this, but is not the only way to accomplish it.

What would you think about using a JNDI DirContext as a representation of the
resources available to a web application?  The idea would be to use directory
entry attributes for the commonly used information like "last modified date" and
"number of bytes in this resource", rather than Java properties.  We'd want to
standardize on attribute names to be used (perhaps starting from the File
directory context already available with JNDI) so that the rest of the servlet
container can access them.  Obviously, this would be a per-webapp structure, just
like the naming context for <env-entry> and <resource-entry> things is.  In fact
... maybe it could even be a subcontext of that very same context ...

What do you think?

Craig McClanahan