Andy wrote:

> But, that being the case (and I know I'm touching on a sore spot) what will
> be the lifespan of 3.3.

Since a proposal to publish a "Tomcat 3.3" has never been formally presented and
voted on, the only logically correct answer is "I don't know."  Depending on the
results of a vote, it could be anything from "it will never be released (as
Tomcat -- the code is free for anyone to do what they want with)" to "live long
and prosper".

Given the current emotionally charged climate, I would not suggest that anyone
propose a vote on 3.3 at the moment :-).

> [snip]

> I'm guessing 4.0 might be a bit hard to get
> into as I picture the major decisions being made in a sun boardroom somewhere
> in cupertino where i'd not have the time to make it to and probably wouldn't
> be invited anyhow...

I'm guessing (well, not really -- it's pretty obvious :-) you haven't studied
your history very well.

For an interesting bit of background, you might go check out the CVS repository
for Apache JServ at http://java.apache.org and  select the branch labelled
"JSERV1_1DEV".  (Yes, it started before there was a 1.1 release of Apache
JServ).  Note the dates on those files (early to mid 1999, before the Sun
contribution of Tomcat was announced).  Go look at the source, and you will see
the recognizable architecture that is Catalina (the servlet container part of
Tomcat 4.0) today.

For the record, Sun hired me in March, 2000, so that I could work on Tomcat full
time instead of it just being a hobby (as it was when the original code was
written).  :-)

> Andy

Craig McClanahan