On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> What about having the session store stuff used also in
> Tomcat 3.2 / 3.3 .

3.2 is in maintenance mode, and should stay that way.  It doesn't need
persistent sessions at all.

3.3 wants to maintain JDK 1.1 compatibility -- at least that's the last I
heard; maybe attitudes are changing.

4.0 is not constrained by this, because the servlet 2.3 spec mandates a
Java2 minimum platform.  I don't see any reason to restrict development on
the 4.0 track (for session stores or anything else) for backwards
compatibility.

Besides, I can *guarantee* you that Costin won't like several aspects of
the org.apache.catalina.Store interface, because it has dependencies on
the other Catalina internal interfaces :-).

> It seems to be a fine candidate to jakarta-commons ...

Feel free to propose something.

You're going to have a very hard time, though, overcoming the
fundamentally different architectural world views on which the 3.3 and 4.0
designs are based.

I'm not planning to invest any of my own time in worrying about 3.x
compatibility.

> -
> Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
> EMAIL : [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (. .)
> PGP KEY : 697ECEDD    ...oOOo..(_)..oOOo...
> PGP Fingerprint : 9DF8 1EA8 ED53 2F39 DC9B 904A 364F 80E6

Craig