> >A Java installer is what we need, OpenSource one of course.
> >Installing a Java product should not be too related to the platform on
> which it
> >is installed, installing is just copying the right files at the right
> place.
> >(well may a little more ;-)).
> >Does someone knows about such a tool?
>
> It seems that TC 4.0 team allready choose NSI, which is not a
> bad idea for Windows world but didn't help others OS users.

>I don't know if you noticed, but I totally hate non-native (Java)
>installers.

I could understand that :)

> We allready have package for Linux (Redhat, Suze, Mandrake)
> via RPM, I've read about Linux Debian works.

>Yes, Linux is RPM

Linux is RPM (Redhat, Suze, Mandrake...) but also DEB (Debian)

>> What about others OS.

>If it's Solaris, chances are the guys don't need an installer ;-)

via PKG ? or Built-in in next Solaris Release ?

>If it's MacOS, well, we only support MacOS X (so we have some time).

What about others Unixes and more generally others OS ?

>> I think like JF we need a Java Installer for that kind of
>> task.

>Cool. Just do it ;-)

There is many GPL solution around like :
http://www.ifrance.com/vonarnim/vainstall/

>There's no problem in distributing both IMO, because one of them may be
>better in some cases, and not that great in others.

I think we shouldn't have too many distribution formats, nullsoft appears
fine for Windows World (even if Apache HTTPD team choose MSI), RPM is
fine for the majority of Linux boxes, rest all the others platforms
which may be happy with a tarball ?