> Why the heck does it matter what installer software that we use?

As usually Jon, you only see what you want in the thread.
JF proposed to use a JAVA OpenSource Installer, something you
should understand and be agree with it to install java software
on many platforms....

> As long as people can easily modify it without having to purchase
> expensive
> software and that it does the job well, all that matters is that
> someone
> is
> doing the work to create the installer. I don't care if it is Java
> based
> or
> not and neither will the newbie who installs the software.

If the users is experimented, it didn't need installer !
The installer are for newbies and ensure that all the stuff
is installed correctly and nothing is missing. A great way to
avoid questions in tomcat-user list...

> All the posts that I have seen suggesting another installer didn't
> actually
> come with any alternative installation scripts, so I consider those
> posts
> irrelevant to the discussion.

You're right, I'll take a look at NSI for TC 3.3 and also VAInstall.

> I congratulate Remy on taking the initiative and "Just Doing it".

+1