Colin Wilson-Salt at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> But... you still need to edit the web server configuration file to deploy a
> web app. If the file that describes how the two pieces integrate is owned by
> the tomcat user, then the Java guys can look after that and the only thing
> that they need to do with iPlanet is use its admin tool to restart it.
>
> iPlanet is not nice to configure, it's not very forgiving (a single space in
> the wrong place can prevent it starting with no sensible error message), and
> its configuration files are typically owned by root - I want to let the
> webapp coders deploy their applications, but I don't want them anywhere near
> the web server that I've spent so long configuring and tuning.

Oh, well, in that case, you can just the autodeploy feature I'm building for
the WebApp module. Basically, everything you need to configure is a WARP
connection. The warp protocol allows you to query the servlet containers
what web applications are "deployable", and from then all is done
automatically.

All you need to configure is the Tomcat 4.0 "server.xml" configuration file,
and everything is done automatically for you...

    Pier