On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Colin Wilson-Salt wrote:

> iPlanet is not nice to configure, it's not very forgiving (a single space in
> the wrong place can prevent it starting with no sensible error message), and
> its configuration files are typically owned by root - I want to let the
> webapp coders deploy their applications, but I don't want them anywhere near
> the web server that I've spent so long configuring and tuning.

Unless you want to fine-tune a webapplication.

There are 2 ways to do what you want: either what IIS is doing ( with
mod_jk reading a properties file, that is generated from server.xml
and autoconfigured apps ), or via Ajp14, where the same information is
sent on the wire at the initial connection time ( this is only in
experimental stage right now, it seems to work fine but it needs more
work ).

The 2 are almost identical - same information is used. The first is easier
to debug and "trace", and may allow extra customizations. The second is
very usefull if tomcat is on different machine, and is easier ( but a
bit less flexible ).

The third option, using the native config format ( i.e. the only current
solution for NES, and one of the choices for Apache ) is the most
powerfull and the hardest to configure. It seems you don't like this
choice ( or at least you don't want this to be the only choice for NES
:-), but it is the most powerfull one.

It seems Pier believes only one options should be available in webapp,
it's his choice. For jk we hope to have all choices available on all
containers.

BTW, if properties or Ajp14 are used the "autoconfiguration" makes sure
the user _doesn't_ have to edit anything manually when he adds a webapp,
so besides the initial setup it's zero lines per webapp. Unless the user
wants something special, and then the web server sets the limits on what
he can do.