From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 9:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Adding another protocol

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Jens-A. Reinhardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to expand Tomcat to serve a protocol other than HTTP.
>
> Looking at the code I would assume that I have to write a
> MyProtocolConnectionHandler and corresponding Request/ResponseAdapter that
> extend/implement the TCPConnectionHandler, ResponseImpl, and RequestImpl.
>
> Since I haven't found any documentation about how to implement another
> protocol I would like to know if thats all. I mean, to write such classes
> and tell Tomcat in server.xml to use them.
>
> I assume that there must be some documentation out on how Tomcat works
> internally, however, I wasn't able to find it. So if I missed something
> please tell me where to look.
>
> Thanks for help,
>
> Jens

The source is what there is for docs.  You also need to decide which
Tomcat version you would want to base your extensions on (they are very
different).  Tomcat 4 in particular maintains the internal distinction
between javax.servlet.Servlet and javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet (and the
corresponding distinctions on requests and responses) so you have a
fighting chance.

In general, supporting other protocols *can* work if your other protocol
looks a lot like HTTP (request/response oriented, some notion of headers
versus data content, and so on).  The more different it is, the harder
your job is going to be.  If the protocol is not request/response
oriented, I wouldn't even bother to try.

Craig