On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, David Oxley wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:52:14 +0100
> From: David Oxley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCE] Tomcat 4.0 Release Candidate 1 Available
>
> Craig,
>
> What will the state of TC4 be at release. I believe mod_webapp is not yet
> finished and the service code is also nowhere near complete. Are these
> features going to be delivered in TC4.0.1 or TC4.1, because until they're
> available I cannot (and probably many others) use TC4 in production. I don't
> mean to sound complaining, I think you guys have created the basis for a
> superb product with TC4.

The final choice will be up to the TOMCAT-DEV committers when presented
with the final release candidate to be voted on.

I can appreciate your concerns about the webapp connector and the service
code.  However, there are undoubtedly also many users who do *not* need
these two features, but need a stable implementation of the new specs.  Is
it fair to delay the entire release for these two featuers -- especially
when other alternatives are available (i.e. you can use mod_jk with Tomcat
4, and there are many "NT Service" gadgets for Java applications)?

It will be an interesting discussion to see how this plays out.

> Thanks.
> Dave.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Craig