Well, I would have prefered to not have this subject opened up...

My understanding of the "Apache License" is that a product/build
distributed by ASF should contain only code and libraries that have Apache
license or something that is compatible.

I agree with most of Craig's argument, as long as we are sure we can
indeed distribute those files in the first place ( somone more familiar
with apache licensing can answer this ).

And I'm not sure I agree with having compile-time dependencies on code
that we can't distribute - that's the reason 3.x doesn't depend on JSSE
nor J2EE ( even if it includes modules that would enable this
functionality ).

Also, I believe pieces of code that depend on non-distributable code
should be optional - the release should be built to include them, but the
code should work fine if they are not present.

Costin