On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Antony Bowesman wrote:

> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:48:29 +0200
> From: Antony Bowesman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: TomcatDev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: J2EE 1.3/Tomcat/JAAS
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there a target for Tomcat to become a J2EE 1.3 conformant web
> container?  If so, what are the plans for supporting section 6.13
>
> J2EE.6.13 Java™ Authentication and Authorization Service (JAAS) 1.0
> Requirements
>
> "All EJB containers and all web containers must support the use of the
> JAAS APIs as specified in the Connector specification."

Tomcat by itself is not a J2EE server, because it doesn't have an EJB
container.  However, it's used inside the J2EE 1.3 RI (for example) which
does support JAAS authentication.

That being said, we have tried to conform to the J2EE 1.3 platform
requirements where feasible (such as with the JNDI naming context), and
this one (JAAS) looks like a very useful addition.  In principle, it will
require a Realm implementation that speaks the JAAS APIs, plus some
defined mechanism for role mapping.

Any volunteers working on this already?  Anyone want to contribute some
code?

> Rgds
> Antony

Craig