On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Antony Bowesman wrote:

> Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 08:47:07 +0200
> From: Antony Bowesman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: J2EE 1.3/Tomcat/JAAS
>
> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
>
> > That being said, we have tried to conform to the J2EE 1.3 platform
> > requirements where feasible (such as with the JNDI naming context),
> > and this one (JAAS) looks like a very useful addition.  In principle,
> > it will require a Realm implementation that speaks the JAAS APIs,
> > plus some defined mechanism for role mapping.
> >
> > Any volunteers working on this already?  Anyone want to contribute
> > some code?
>
> I have a JAAS Realm that supports role mapping, however, it's using an
> extended Realm interface so that HttpRequest parameters can be passed to
> the JAAS LoginModules.
>
> It still has some open issues, such as integrating JAAS logout with the
> container, however, what state do you need code to be in to be
> contributed?

As far as I'm concerned, code for optional plug-in things like this need
only compile cleanly to avoid problems for other developers -- it need not
be functionally complete yet.  (Early check-in means you get more feedback
on features as well.)  I can take care of updating the build environment
to optionally compile this, if you want to focus on just the code.

I did some reading last night on the JAAS specs and sample programs -- I'm
interested in seeing how you approached role mapping.

> Rgds
> Antony

Craig