On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, jean-frederic clere wrote:

> > Excellent, we should give a way to user to fall back to OS calls if they
> > could find an APR installed.
>
> I am not sure about that, APR should hide all OS calls. Mixing APR and OS calls
> is possible but probably not very safe.

Not mixing - just keeping the current ( unportable ) code around for a
while and using it when APR is not available ( using #ifdefs ).

If APR is detected by the build system it'll be used and the old code
will not. If for some reasons APR is not detected or disabled -
the old code will provide the basic functionality ( a socket channel,
AJP1x, etc ).

> > A question for people with old make tool, no more a problem
> > for Linux/xxBSD users. What about Solaris, AIX and HP/UX ?
>
> I have some problems of ReliantUnix with VPATH. The other thing I do not like
> with VPATH is that the *.o files are in one place and the sources in another
> one...

For the first - is ReliandUnix using Gnu make ( of a recent version ) ?
The code should be the same.

For the second - java does the same with the classes, I thought most
people would like it :-)

It allows us to build common with some options for apache2 and other
options ( defines, flags, etc ) for apache13 or iis. The .o files for the
2 servers will be in separated dirs.

( right now jkant is doing that, but it's easy to change )