On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Bill Barker wrote:

> > Instead of renaming all config directives with Jk2, I would
> > like to just _remove_ them all. If the old directives are
> > used in a config, mod_jk1 will do what's expected.
>
> From what I've read, I'd still like a 'compatibility mode', to allow for
> webmasters to fine-tune.  The fatal flaw of mod_webapp was to promise more

To fine-tune - exactly the same tunning can be done by using a
'JkLogLevel DEBUG' or 'JkSet logLevel DEBUG' or 'logLevel=DEBUG' in
workers.properties ( same for all other options )

My proposal is to stick with the last 2 as 'default/recommended' in jk2.

A compatibility layer will be added when we deprecated jk1, it's
not difficult ( so old configs will still work ). But at this
moment is better to have 'old configs' work by using jk1.
Adding a fourth Jk2LogLevel doesn't get us anything.

Keeping all settings in the same map will simplify other servers as
well, we'll not have to duplicate the code dealing with properties - it'll
be in common.

> > Set properties on a webapp level. Will be set
> > at <Location> level. An equivalent setting will be
> > in a uri-workers.properties ( or a better named one ),
> > the same that we use for IIS.
>
> AFAIK, the <Location> is unique to Apache and has no equivalent in IIS or
> iPlanet.  Even with Apache it is problematic in the presence of
> VirtualHosts.

Using uri-workers.properties ( which is equivalent with JkMount ) will
work on all servers ( and is easy to generate ). That should be the
default.

For performance or fine tunning - <Location> has several benefits,
and allow better integration into apache. And it works fine with
VirtualHosts :-).

I believe iPlanet and IIS may have some equivalent 'native' mapping
rule - and it would be nice to support it as well, but the
properties are going to work fine.

> > properties are easier to generate and will be consistent
> > for all servers ( no longer need to generate 3 different
> > styles ).
> >

> As much as I hate the IIS syntax, I suppose I'll have to hold my nose and
> vote +1.

If you're thinking about the uri properties file - we can improve this,
and hopefully you'll not have to touch this ever.

> > 3. JkServlet NAME VALUE
> > Set properties per/servlet. I'm not yet finished with
> > this one, we may not need it.
> >

> -1.  This should be handled by Tomcat (via web.xml), not Apache/IIS/iPlanet.

If we use <Location> style, we'll have a
<Location /examples>
   JkWebapp worker ajp13
</Location>

<Location /examples/servlets/* >
  JkServlet name invoker
</Location>

<Location /examples/foo/* >
  JkServlet name myServlet
</Location>

Both JkWebapp and JkServlet are to be used with 'native' ( and probably
more performant and well 'integrated' ) mode.