> OK... this is very strange.  All the Tomcat 3.x and 4.x series did not do
this.

> Now for some reason Tomcat 4.0.4b1 calls my init() method twice.  I put in
some
> defensive programming to detect this but a 4.0.4 final should NOT have
this bug.

> Also... both the 4.0.3 and 4.0.4b1 series seem very buggy.  These are
definitely
> below the quality I have come to expect from Apache/Tomcat releases.
>
> Specifically, I am running into strange classloader issues under both
4.0.3 and
> 4.0.4b1.  If I gather more information I will report it.  The problem is
that i
> am getting sporadic behavior.  For example 4.0.3 can't load xalan.jar (or
some
> subset of the classes) under the correct webapp.

I already apologized 3 times for the problems with Xalan in particular.
Thankfully, the workaround is simple enough.
So here's one more:
I'd like to apologoize for letting this bug sneak in the release.

4.0.4 b1 should fix it (at least with Xalan). The only thing this release
should not like is if you have the servlet API classes in a JAR.

Both 4.0.2 and 4.0.4 b1 fix a lot of bugs which existed in 4.0.1, so I don't
consider them any more buggy than 4.0.1, or esp 4.0. I guess if you were
using native connectors, you would have a much different opinion ;-)
I don't see any change which would cause the multiple init invocation. I've
seen reports of this with JSPs, but none with servlets. Does it also happen
with 4.0.3, or is it only with 4.0.4 b1 ?

> I am also getting some classes that aren't found within the same .jar that
> other classes ARE found.
>
> Again... I wish I could be more specific but it is a strange bug.
>
> Anyway... thanks.

Remy