> "Remy Maucherat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> <snip/>
>

> > I already apologized 3 times for the problems with Xalan in particular.
> > Thankfully, the workaround is simple enough.  So here's one more: I'd
like to
> > apologoize for letting this bug sneak in the release.
> >
> > 4.0.4 b1 should fix it (at least with Xalan). The only thing this
release
> > should not like is if you have the servlet API classes in a JAR.
>
> Well... I did have servlet.jar in WEB-INF/lib... I removed it.  Stupid to
have
> it in there anyway.

That's ok, it shouldn't cause trouble.

> That said... I still have classloader problems with 4.0.4-b1.
>
> Specifically when I try to call a Java function from Xalan
>
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
org.apache.xalan.extensions.ExtensionHandlerJavaClass.callFunction(Extension
HandlerJavaClass.java:357)
>         at
org.apache.xalan.extensions.ExtensionsTable.extFunction(ExtensionsTable.java
:257)
>         at
org.apache.xpath.functions.FuncExtFunction.execute(FuncExtFunction.java:181)

> It appears that Xalan can't instantiate my class/extension.  For whatever
reasons...

> <snip/>
>
> This is the wierdness that I was talking about.  What Xalan bug did you
fix?

The javax.xml packages couldn't be loaded from the webapp repository
(because of the way delegation works in the servlet API, the base XML
classes can't be loaded from the webapp without causing lots of trouble;
however, that resptriction was too broad, adn is now restricted to the base
SAX and DOM classes, as well as the core JAXP XML parser interfaces).

> Could you give me more insight here?

I have no idea at this point. Too bad the original exception isn't available
... If Xalan needs a newer version of the SAX, DOM, or JAXP XML parser APIs
than what is in common/lib to support extensions, you'll have to replace it
there. 4.0.1 allowed you to override them (which created some problems in
many cases), and 4.0.2/4.0.3/4.0.4b1 don't. Also, if JAXP is in the system
classloader, you can never override it.

Which JDK are you using ? I assume 1.3.x.

I'll do my best to continue improving the CL (so that all the exclusions
tricks would be unnecessary), but I'm running out of ideas for some cases
(JAXP, JNDI, the servlet API).
I'll try to fix it for 4.0.4 b2.

> Whatever you fixed has broke Xalan
> extension support ... at least in my app which has run just fine under
anything
> pre 4.0.3...

Remy