>Good if _they_ build it over there, _they_  can build the
>modules as well.

you think they will build mod_jk and mod_jk2 ?
In fact mod_jk is present in OS/400 but is really
an old version (from 3.2) so wouldn't works against
3.3 / 4.0, that's why I want to work on it, without
autoconf....

>When IBM will contribute back their build stuff to Apache 2.0
>and APR, maybe
>we can think about that...

I asked many times to the http-dev list and some IBMers told
me they may one day. May be you could try also to convince them.
I'll thanks you if you could succeed...

>> So why are we using ant in jakarta instead of smaller makefiles ?)
>
>F**K: because those are TWO different things! I never said
>ANYTHING about
>building the webapp classes with ANT when those were build with Tomcat.
>Building 10000 java class files and no C is different from building
>APR+mod_webapp and maaaayyyybeeeee 10 java classes in ONE package...

Yes, but the makefiles to build webapp and tomcats could be smaller
than the build file ;-)

>Different requirement, different tools...

+1

>> ant is a great tool and it will be a PITA to avoid using it
>> when it's a valid alternative to old like
>autoconf/automake/libtool/m4.
>>
>> ant is ASF after all and run on all OS, so it's a good reason to use
>> it when possible. jkant (in jtc) is a good example of
>native-interaction
>> module which boost ant...
>

>Go and build APR on 20something different OSes with ANT, and we'll see
>what's a PITA.

When APR will be stabilized and officially released we could try to
build it with jkant ;)